The English/Language Arts Teacher serves as the instructional leader in a specified subject area; plans and implements an educational program for an assigned group of students in a Blended Classroom; facilitates learning in a classroom using an online curriculum; monitors individual student progress throughout the completion of an online curriculum; provides interventions for students who are not making adequate progress; provides interventions for students who have content area skill gaps; designs and presents performance tasks which require for students to apply and create knowledge; employs Cooperative/Collaborative Practices and Standard Operating Procedures to promote student autonomy and personalized learning; utilizes technology to communicate student progress and connect students with course resources; and; performs additional duties as assigned.
The purpose of the Teacher position is to deliver content-based instruction to the students of YCCS West High School using the school’s curriculum and identified best practices.
Teachers report to the Principal and Assistant Principal. There are no positions that report to Teachers.
Duties & Essential Job Functions
- Plan, prepare and deliver engaging instructional activities using YCCS’s competency-based curricular model, as well as frequent integration of literacy and the arts
- Develop unit plans using the YCCS West unit planning template
- Submit course syllabus quarterly using the IHS template
- Align curriculum using the YCCS Competency Based Learning model
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities
- Identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment
- Use relevant technology to support instruction
- Administer standards-based classroom assessments and utilize assessment data to inform instruction
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development and provide students with regular feedback
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing YCCS West’s rules and procedures
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, sporting activities, clubs and student organizations
- Serve as an advisor and implement advising curriculum
- Participate in professional learning community meetings, parent meetings, and behavior intervention meetings
- Serve on student portfolio panels and IEP meetings when necessary
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and student needs
- Keep up to date with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities
- Maintain certification records using the IBSE ELIS Educator Certification System and notify administration of any changes to certification
- Teaching experience preferred
- Experience in working with urban, at-risk youth
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in from an accredited institution
- Illinois Professional Educator License
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $45,000.00 /year
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Professional Educator License (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid time off
- Other types of insurance
Blended Learning Teacher
The Blended Learning teacher position functions as a combined online/site teacher with an added emphasis on competency-based education. Implementation and monitoring of skill-based learning and academic interventions.
Helping develop and delivering instruction in a face-to-face learning environment. Developing essential components of face to face interventions which will be developed and delivered according to data-driven decision-making philosophies.
Provide regular online education services (in a face-to-face environment) such as consultation, effective education and participation on committee team; service students with Individualized Learning Plans, Advanced Learning plans and all students identified; collaborate with the teaching and administrative staff to establish enrichment programs to help foster the blended model of education; participate in staff development, including cross-disciplinary training, as part of the District Office’s implementation plan (3+1 model) ; and; performs additional duties as assigned.
The Blended Learning teacher position functions as a combined online/site teacher with an added emphasis on competency-based education.
The Blended Teacher is responsible for:
•Implementation and monitoring of skill-based learning and academic interventions
•Helping develop and delivering instruction in a face-to-face learning environment
• Developing essential components of face to face interventions which will be developed and delivered
according to data-driven decision-making philosophies
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following statements of duties, roles, and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position. Actual duties, roles, and responsibilities may vary depending upon building assignments and other factors.
•Providing regular online education services (in a face-to-face environment) such as consultation, affective education
•Servicing students with Individualized Learning Plans, Advanced Learning plans and all students identified
•Collaborative consultation with school personnel (including supervision)
•Collaboration with the teaching and administrative staff to establish enrichment programs to help foster the blended model of education
•Active participation in staff development, including cross-disciplinary training, as part of the District Office’s implementation plan (3+1 model)
• Comprehend the curricula in its entirety for assigned grade levels
• Demonstrate knowledge of the state standards and how both align with the blended curriculum
specifically, how this impacts support needed
• Utilizes asynchronous and synchronous tools to augment course content (preferred)
• Orients students to course and communicates course requirements
• Maintains regular office hours and conducts instructional sessions
• Sets and enforces deadlines for student work
• Support parents with student curricular and instructional issues
• Responsible for student academic progress and attendance
• Balance flexibility of the blended curriculum with school’s policies and procedures
• Conduct conferences with students and parents/guardian/responsible adult
• Individualize instruction to help each student achieve their grade specific curricular objectives and meet Illinois State Standards
•Meet lesson plan deadlines and expectations
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
•Bachelors degree plus additional coursework required for certification or licensure
•Illinois teaching license currently eligible with the appropriate endorsement for this position is preferred or is otherwise highly qualified for the position. Valid Illinois driver’s license required for hire
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE& EXPERIENCE:
•Three years classroom teaching experience
•Experience working with the proposed age group and supporting adults
•Experience in implementing and facilitating Response to Intervention best practices
•Must have a high level of verbal and written communication skills
•Must have a positive attitude and perception about the educational task
•Experience with blended learning
•Must be flexible with working hours
•Should be willing to expand blended teaching best practices through professional development
•Should have expertise in virtual and blended pedagogy.
•Knowledgeable of best practices related to individual student learning and differentiated instruction
•Experience in working with “at risk” populations preferred
•English language skills required•Must be very self-motivated
•Must provide timely student feedback
•Must have excellent record keeping skills
•Must be proficient in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
•Proficient in Power School (preferred)
The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance
kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
There are no special vision abilities required by this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually slightly
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to coordinate, instruct, compute, and evaluate. Frequently required to compare, analyze, communicate, synthesize, use interpersonal skills, compile and negotiate.
• Illinois State Board of Education approval as a Paraprofessional • Teaching experience in a Blended Classroom • Experience in working with “at risk” populations preferred • Must be flexible with working hours • Experience in implementing and facilitating Response to Intervention best practices • Knowledgeable of best practices related to individual student learning and differentiated instruction • Should have expertise in virtual and blended pedagogy Reports to the Principal.